they must be sleeping

A somewhat daily yadda yadda yadda to keep up with friends and family.

11.06.2008

Fish Sticks & Tater Tots

Today was a great day, we went shopping in the morning (looking for a christening gown for Jack-he won't fit into the family one...) and Lucie had me try on "glass slippers" in the shoe department. Once again, I didn't have my camera and this was one time I REALLY should have. She had me try on three pairs of serious hoochie mama shoes. The first pair was a super high wedge in a candy cane stripe, the second was hot pink (or as she would say fuschia) pleather stilettos that were a size 10 (I looked like I was wearing my Aunt Josie's shoes like I used to way back in the 80's), and the third pair (which she actually got into for a while) was shiny gold stilettos. Other customers were watching us and getting a good giggle out of it. Who knew one could have so much fun at Burlington Coat Factory??? Keep it in mind, ladies, it could be a good rainy day activity! (I was not successful in finding an outfit/gown for Jack. I may check ebay.)

After lunch with Papa at home, we played outside for a bit and decided to go visit Grandma. I planned on maybe an hour visit and we ended up passing the afternoon chatting and playing, it was really nice. I'm so proud of her for all the work she's done on the bathroom. It looks great, and I know there's more to do, but I'm so impressed!

Let's see...Jack sat up unassisted (un-friggin-believeable!) for a good 10 seconds. Keep in mind that he's only four months old tomorrow. Wow! We've been practicing rolling over and today in his crib he pretty much got it. I want him to continue nursing, for a gazillion reasons, one of them being I am just NOT ready for the clutter, preparation and cleaning of bottles! However, the boy is big, and I hardly can pump anything at all for those times I just need a break. Tonight he nursed and then was still looking for more. He took a 4 ounce bottle (which he held by himself, crazy!) like it was nothing, and then nursed for a few more minutes. I hate to think he's ready to start solids, but the signs are all pointing in that direction. I want to wait until after his 4 month visit (Monday) to get the green light. But at 18+ pounds...I think we're good. Lucky boy even has baby food from France! We've got peaches, pear/apple, peach strawberry - those are les petits pots (jars) and then Blédina (cereals) - plain cereal, vanilla rice, and multigrain. Merci Mamie et Papy! I will definitely be posting a video of that!

Ahhh, then the evening rolled around. It took all of the energy I had left to simply put fish sticks and tater tots in the oven. First of all, just thinking about that dinner makes me a little unhappy, but hey, I guess they have to happen every once in a while. (Especially after a day like yesterday, during which I simmered - all day - Yucatan Pork Stew with Ancho Chiles...mmm mmm good - our house smelled like a restaurant! I felt like I was a Personal Chef all over again.) Then, to make matters worse, I couldn't figure out the math of putting which in first (hey, I'm rarely sleeping more than 2 - 2/12 hours at night!) and then the plastic of the tot bag melted all over the cookie sheet while I was putting them in. ARGH!

Sometimes it's okay to say "I give up", give in and have another tot or two. (A glass of wine would've been nicer, though.) You know you're a grown up when there is a perfectly good, unopened bottle of wine staring at you on the counter and you can say "ain't worth it" because you're gonna be up at 1 and 4 feeding the baby! God, I can't even imagine drinking a bottle of wine anymore, and I'm not too proud to say that in my early DC days, it happened ...sometimes. Usually at least with a good friend! (I won't name names but I miss sitting on the balcony looking at the cathedral, as well as being with LMP. You know who you are! :-) And I miss you ladies desperately.

I won't even get into my Paris days...





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home