sleep--not very interesting but I need to get it out
Jack has been finishing his nights in our bed. Not only am I getting more and more tired, I am growing more frustrated because I am not following my gut. At the most, he will sleep 3-4 hours on a good night. In the past two weeks, we've all been sick and that hasn't helped his sleeping one bit. We had him sleeping in his carseat for about a week so he could breathe more easily. The past three nights have been just horrible...last night, for example (I've been charting):
down at 9
pick up/put down at 9:40
pu/pd at 10
david did pu/pd 3 times before midnight while I slept
rocked him back to sleep at 12 and again at 12:30 (he was screaming)
nursed him at 2, brought him into bed
nursed him at 5
awake/nursed him at 7
I'm pretty sure that the sleep torture experts have more humane ways of getting a prisoner to crack.
He's crying about every half hour, give or take, until 2 am or so. He usually does the 2 to 5 am stretch no problem. HOW CAN I GET HIM TO SLEEP MORE CONSISTENTLY???? I went to the library this morning to find some books - I was looking for the "No Cry Sleep Solution" but it wasn't there so I put my name on the waiting list.
It's not that I don't want him in our bed...I love snuggling with him, I'm not getting out of bed 6 times a night, and he sleeps so soundly. I don't want to create a toddler who can't sleep anywhere else, that's the issue, I guess. I'm not ready to let him cry it out (we didn't even do that with Lucie until she was about 18 months), and I am ready to get some serious sleep. Even right now, we all took naps (in our respective beds) and he woke up after about 30 minutes. I brought him into my bed and he's sleeping like a log.
If I look back at what I've said to try to make some sense of it, maybe that will help. Yes, he could be teething, he could have gas, he could be or have a lot of things. I just need some shut eye.

3 Comments:
You should confer with Mary Catherine. Its sound like the same problems she is/was having with Matilda. I look back all the time and I ask myself is it better to have an infant who doesn't sleep or a toddler? because I'm having the sleep issue with Avery. She goes down in her bed every night and then without fail at 2 or 3 she wakes up and screams to come into our bed. And we really can't let her cry it out because I will probably get evicted for my screaming child!!! I wish I could help...
That's funny--not really, but the thought of being fearful of eviction because of a screaming child makes me laugh! I'd rather hear that than what I used to hear through my first apartment walls...and to make it worse, they had Bel Biv Devoe blasting the entire time!
I was reading some message boards yesterday and that seems to be the argument...you never know what kind of sleeper your older child will become, so you just gotta roll with it.
I still brought him into bed at 2 but the earlier part of the night went much better.
both of you (and me) should check out AskMoxie.org. She's a bit of a sleep guru, and has info on both 4 month and 2.5 year sleep regressions! oh and the one year sleep regression---seems like every time something crazy is going on with matilda's sleep, it aligns with these developmental changes and sleep disturbances.
http://www.askmoxie.org/2007/10/4-month-olds.html
Post a Comment
<< Home