they must be sleeping

A somewhat daily yadda yadda yadda to keep up with friends and family.

1.16.2009

You WILL eat your veggies!

It's official...Lucie is a picky toddler :-( I was sure that MY child was going to LOOOOVE all veggies and good-for-you-food. Ha! If I let her, she would live on milk and fishies. Okay, and bananas and yogurt. I guess it's really not that bad. But we surely need to eat more veggies. I'll be working on that.

I found this recipe at http://happytobeathome.net/fruit-and-veggie-muffins/ I'll let you know how they turn out! I'm sure Lucie (and her lovely parents) will love them.

“Fruit and Veggie” Muffin Recipe
Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
3 T vegetable or canola oil
3 T applesauce
2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cup mashed or grated fruit/veggie ***See ideas below!
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar and mashed fruit or veggie. Mix well with whisk, hand blender or KitchenAid.
3. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix until it forms into batter. Fold in nuts if you like.
4. Pour into muffin cups like this.
5. Mini muffins: Bake 8-10 minutes. Regular muffins: Bake 15-2o minutes. Tops will turn golden.
6. Cool on cooling rack and then serve to hungry little people!

Fruits and Veggies Options
2 cup mashed banana with walnuts
1 cup sweet potatoes and 1 cup bananas
1 cup grated apple and 1 cup grated pear
1 cup squash and 1 cup grated apple
1 cup grated carrots and 1/2 cup raisins
2 cup peeled and grated zucchini
1 cup blueberries and 1 cup bananas
1 cup bananas and 1 cup strawberries
2 cups pears with 1/2 cup chopped pecans
…or 2 cups of any other fruit or veggie you like…just mash or grate them up! The possibilities are endless…

Note: These freeze beautifully! Thaw in just 10 seconds in the microwave, or in a few minutes on the counter.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Lowe Family said...

You better warn my mother not to make the sweet potato muffins while we are there. I know she would think it hilarious to sneak sweet potatoes into my diet. Other than that particular combination they look great, I'm anxious to see how they turn out.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

How did I miss this when you posted!? I saw a similar recipe on the Vegan Lunchbox blog and really wanted to try it. I'm definitely going to make these!! Thanks!!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I am going to make those muffins...Chandler will love them!

9:26 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Thanks! I think I'll be making them today.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home